Monday, October 8, 2007

Bird Sounds

I've found a site with digitally recorded bird sounds - not just their songs, but also the sounds they make as they move around. The author, Doug Von Gausig, has compiled a large variety of animal sounds that have to be heard to be believed.

Despite spending a LOT of time lately outside, and listening to birds, I'm afraid I may be hopeless about being able to identify birds by species, using sound identification. My hearing is impaired; I have both some dimming of ability to hear high-pitched sound, as well as tinnitus.

What is tinnitus? Wikipedia has a failry decent explanation
Tinnitus can be perceived in one or both ears or in the head. It is usually described as a ringing noise, but in some patients it takes the form of a high pitched whining, buzzing, hissing, humming, or whistling sound, or as ticking, clicking, roaring, "crickets" or "locusts", tunes, songs, or beeping.[3] It has also been described as a "whooshing" sound, as of wind or waves.[4]
In my case, it's a hissing sound, similar to static on a radio.

No comments: