Friday, November 23, 2007

Autumn in SC

This year in Rock Hill is a riot of color. My neighborhood is aflame with reds, yellows, oranges, and such. The weather conditions are perfect for fall leave color changes - dry, followed by cool weather. If it's too humid, or not cool enough, the leaves won't show such a dramatic change. The first year I was in SC, it was unusually wet - mucho hurricane activity, and relatively warm. I thought the color changes (or, rather, the lack of them) were the norm.

This year, I'm seeing the more customary color changes. It's been quite interesting to see the color changes of different tree and bush species. As far as I can tell, more of the members of a single species change color within a fairly narrow spectrum. As many of these species are new to me, it's been a revelation.

The evergreens are more evident, now that the deciduous species aren't masking them.

No comments: